Midpoints, Cosmobiology (Ebertin) & Astrology
Tony Alicea
2013-07-21 15:00:56 UTC
[I posted this 3.5 years ago...

[What I didn't mention then was that I have personally met both Reinhold
Ebertin and his son Baldur at a AFA Convention in Miami Beach in the
very early 1970s when I was a college student of physics and a student
of Cosmobiology/Astrology.]

Midpoints are not a "monopoly" of the astrological discipline of
Cosmobiology. Midpoints can and are used by astrologers not practicing
Cosmobiology, as a supplement. OTOH, you cannot practice Cosmobiology
without midpoints.

[Cosmobiology was developed in Germany by Reinhold Ebertin earlier last
century. It was developed from so-called Uranian astrology when he
decided that this Uranian Astrology was far too complicated with the
invention of four new "planets" or "sensitive points" for which there
was no astronomical evidence. Other opinions welcome. Your milage may
vary. :-)]

One prominent feature of Cosmobiology is this: "Look Ma!, No Houses"!
:-) . Also, no signs (like in Tropical astrology) OR no constellations,
like in sidereal astrology. So this planet in this sign here or in that
constellation there is not considered. Nor a planet in this house or the
other. Please note the disappearance of the "which house system to use"
situation. AND the disappearance of the sign versus constellation (ie,
tropical versus sidereal) situation too.

The 'condition' of a planet is judged exclusively by the *hard* aspects
(0, 45, 90, 135 and 180 degrees) it receives from other planets AND (and
this is new with Uranian and Cosmobiology) by its (by now famous, I
hope) midpoint STRUCTURES.

Before I forget, only 13 points are considered: The traditional
planets (Moon through Pluto), the MC, Asc and the North Node (only).

Midpoint structures are calculated by determining where the midpoint
of every pair of planets (+MC, Asc, N. Node) is in the ecliptic. Then,
any planet that lies within 1.5 degree (note the tight orb) of the
midpoint OR forms a strong aspect to it, is considered to be in a
"planetary picture". This THREE-WAY combo is then interpreted. This is
also new with Cosmobiology since "normally" aspects are between TWO
planets and planetary pictures are a combination of THREE. For
example, having the planet Venus = Sun/Jup (the "=" means in the
midpoint of, OR aspecting it by hard aspect) is "better" than
Venus=Mar/Sat :-) for obvious reasons. Let's see what the BIBLE of
Cosmobiology, THE COMBINATION OF STELLAR INFLUENCES (COSI) says about
the above: (planet1/planet2 axis == midpoint of said pair of bodies)

First, the Sun/Jup axis: "Health, joy, recognition."

Ven=Sun/Jup: "A healthy love relationship, a harmonious
sex life. The beautiful body, good art. Suc-
cess in love, the happily loving husband."

Now,
Mar/Sat axis: "Harmful or destructive energy, inhibited or
destroyed vitality."

Ven=Mar/Sat: "Coldness of feeling and frigidity, an absence
of feeling and sensitive perception, a
loveless disposition. The inability to love
and to express love. Illness, separation,
loss (death) of female persons."

And this is the extent of interpretation... Well, hard aspects between
pairs of planets are also considered important. BTW, you can easily see
that if a planet aspects another by hard aspect, it is likely that it
will also aspect at least some of the aspected planet's midpoint
structures, joining in the planetary picture.

How Cosmobiology goes about prediction is subject for another post.
Solar arc directions and transits are prominent, (and if you like,
secondary progressions too, why not? I personally pay more attention to
the Solar arc & transits, as per the discipline). Again, only 8th
harmonic aspects are considered. The 45 degree graphic annual ephemeris
is introduced... Great tool.

---
Tony Alicea
CFA
2013-07-23 15:28:34 UTC
Post by Tony Alicea
One prominent feature of Cosmobiology is this: "Look Ma!, No Houses"!
:-) . Also, no signs (like in Tropical astrology)
Doesn't Ebertin consider the sign placement of the Asc and MC?
Post by Tony Alicea
The 'condition' of a planet is judged exclusively by the *hard* aspects
(0, 45, 90, 135 and 180 degrees) it receives from other planets AND (and
this is new with Uranian and Cosmobiology) by its (by now famous, I
hope) midpoint STRUCTURES.
I've played with 30° and 60° ephemerides a little, mostly the latter.
I think they also offer useful information. In practice, though, I
only use the 8th harmonic graphic. People rarely complain about trines
and sextiles.
Post by Tony Alicea
Before I forget, only 13 points are considered: The traditional
planets (Moon through Pluto), the MC, Asc and the North Node (only).
Sun?
Post by Tony Alicea
I love the graphic ephemeris. It's possible to do a natal chart,
transits, and synastry from a single graphic.
Post by Tony Alicea
---
Tony Alicea
Ken
cfa at alt dot net
Johnny Angel
2013-08-05 12:15:53 UTC
Post by CFA
Doesn't Ebertin consider the sign placement of the Asc and MC?
Oh yes he does. Sign, and not Constellation. And in his most famous of
all works too, CSI (Combination of Stellar Influences; Reinhold Ebertin).

But most importantly, he emphasizes the relative importance of those two
personal points, so that aspects from them to planets and midpoints can
be calculated. And are important.

Anyway, one may wonder, and I didn't get to ask him or his son in person
in 1970 or 1971'S AFA Convention in Miami Beach, IF HIS MENTIONING OF
Signs in his CSI implied that he kept them in his book so as not to
freak out traditional astrologers when presenting his more accurate, new
method. ?? Method that does not include Signs (?!).

My conclusion after all these years is in agreement with Ebertin's
analyses of astrology/Cosmobiology but also in accord with Robert Hand's
books Horoscope Symbols and Planets in Transit. Hand knows Ebertin.

Later,

Tony Alicea
***@alicea.org

Post by Tony Alicea
I love the graphic ephemeris. It's possible to do a natal chart,
transits, and synastry from a single graphic.
Post by Tony Alicea
---
Tony Alicea
Ken