Defending astrology against fundamentalists
Kjell Pettersson
2013-07-17 16:42:59 UTC
Astrologers are attacked, paradoxically, primarily—I think—on two fronts: from skeptical atheists as well as fundamentalist Christians. Paradoxically as there are astrologers Christian, atheist and even skeptical and fundamentalist.

Something I have myself noted is that neither group seems to actually be that informed about what astrology is or what astrologers do, they just oppose it on principle. Well, be that as it may, the reason for this post is that I want to share some things I recently read which addresses the arguments of the religious fundamentalists—by looking at what is actually in the Bible.

One likes to think that would be down their lane, and so could be kind of useful resource if one finds oneself with one who wants to argue. First below is the document that prompted this post. It is a word document with a bit of formatting, so I do not repost it here as it will not show up good in the newsreaders, or Google Groups either.

Astrology and Fundamentalist Christianity — by Carole Devine*
Link: http://goo.gl/JezUg

A blog post from Divine Inspiration Astrology*
http://divineinspirationastrology.com/biblical-insights-into-astrology/

__________
* https://www.facebook.com/carole.devine
** https://www.facebook.com/kellyleephipps
Pete 4twain
2013-07-31 04:06:47 UTC
I wasn't able to open the Word document, but the website essay has some interesting notes on the astrological ages and I learned something about the word mazzaroth. Still, the thought of defending astrology to an argumentative Christian fundamentalist or atheist is such a dreary prospect -- I would much rather spend my limited time talking with and learning from others who are interested in astrology. There's so much to learn!

Related to some points in the website post, if the other person says, "I don't believe in astrology," I say, "Oh, OK," and then we are free to chat about any number of other things. If the other person asks, "How can you believe in astrology?" the old answer is still pretty clean and simple: "I've studied it."

Even if I were in that dreary situation of hearing the fundamentalist or the atheist go on and on about his/her rock-solid faith or exalted intellect, I would just as soon have that person's chart at hand, to see how the words and the symbols correlate, and in no time at all we would both be so interested that we would forget we were supposed to be attacking or defending something.
unknown
2013-08-05 20:43:01 UTC
I was interested to read this on my own account, being a Christian myself
(as best I can). I couldn't open the Word document either - something about
invalid certificates - but the other has some good stuff in it. Some of
those passages from the Bible I'd forgotten all about, others I'd never even
noticed.

It gets quite fanciful towards the end - I wouldn't enjoy trying to explain
to a fundamentalist Christian that the letters in the Hebrew word for
"light" add up to "the infinite potential of the sacred spirit fertilizing
creation"! - but I think he's preaching to astrologers rather than critics
by that time.

One favourite passage of mine that's not in there is Zechariah 4:10,
discussing the rebuilding of the Temple: “Who dares despise the day of
small things, since the seven eyes of the Lord that range throughout the
earth will rejoice when they see the plumbline in the hand of Zerubbabel?”
However... probably couldn't actually use that for an argument, since the
identity of the "seven eyes" and two "olive branches" is just my opinion!

It doesn't address the various places where the Bible supposedly speaks out
against astrology, though. I think the point there is that when you look at
them closely, they're never talking about astrology per se - like so many
other passages in the Old Testament, they're warning against trusting
astrology (or money, or foreign religions, or...) above God. I'm basically
with Lilly: "As thou daily conversest with the heavens, so instruct thy mind
according to the image of the Creator..."
--
A. B.
Post by Pete 4twain
<>
My e-mail address is zen177395 at zendotcodotuk, though I don't check that
account very often.
Post unto others as you would have them post unto you.